Facebook Blogging

Edward Hugh has a lively and enjoyable Facebook community where he publishes frequent breaking news economics links and short updates. If you would like to receive these updates on a regular basis and join the debate please invite Edward as a friend by clicking the Facebook link at the top of the right sidebar.

Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Nelson Mandela and Dalai Lama

Funny in the first place but with some serious connotation, this political compass. This is a two-dimensional classification of politicians. One of my biggest objections to political parties is that it's suggested or organized(!) that all members have similar opinions on all issues. So a two-dimensional classification can result in a more realistic distribution but still I have my objections. Beside that the compass is based on questions like:

"It is a waste of time to try to rehabilitate some criminals." Well this can be interpreted in different ways depending on your emphasis: I am abolutely sure that for some criminals this is a waste of time. But how many is "some"?

Still I could not control my curiosity and filled in the questionaire. My scores on the test were Economic Left/Right: -6.88, Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33 bringing me closest to Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama among the well-known political figures. I can live with that. If it was just the Dalai Lama I had a problem vis a vis the "realistic" part of my motto.

No comments: