Facebook Blogging

Edward Hugh has a lively and enjoyable Facebook community where he publishes frequent breaking news economics links and short updates. If you would like to receive these updates on a regular basis and join the debate please invite Edward as a friend by clicking the Facebook link at the top of the right sidebar.

Tuesday, May 27, 2003

On Dvd Binges in Nanking



Someone, who shall be nameless, informs me he is having a hard time deciding whether to purue a career in economics at grad school or try to work in the cinema. Either way I think he'll do a good job, the qualifications and reasoning are impeccable:

I was an
econ major in undergrad and going to econ grad school is the $64,000 question I've been grappling with over the past year. I'm also really into Chinese cinema, as you can tell. Other than the latest Matrix movie, I don't have the inclination to go out and pay $9 to see a movie just because I've got a stack of 70 DVDs I still have to watch. A weekend trip to Nanjing for a DVD binge (which seems to have a better and cheaper selection of DVDs than Beijing or Shanghai) alone would nearly justify the airplane ticket out there. I was finding just about every possible Hollywood and European classic as well as good Asian stuff and even some good third world stuff (Iranian and Indian) buried in masses of bad American B-movies.

No comments: